6 Ways to Use Essential Oils for a DIY Self-Care Day
Essential oils are known to offer a wide range of wellness benefits, from boosting your mood to easing anxiety and improving your nightly sleep. At Desert Essence, our certified-organic essential oil blends are crafted with the purest ingredients to deliver extraordinary results for the mind, body and spirit. We’re sharing how to incorporate these signature oils into your daily routine and take your self-care game to the next level.
The Best Ways to Use Essential Oils for a DIY Spa Day
1. Anxiety Awareness
Inner Peace Organic Essential Oil Blend. Made with comforting notes of neroli, petitgrain, frankincense and cedarwood, this calming oil helps you center yourself and find your balance. How to Use Essential Oils for Anxiety
- Apply one or two drops to the bottoms of your feet before bedtime.
- Rub one or two drops together in your palms and deeply inhale.
- Add 8-10 drops to 3.5 oz. of distilled water and 1 tbsp. of witch hazel for a daily body spray.
Did You Know? Exercise lowers cortisol levels and releases endorphins to help keep anxiety at bay. Bonus Points: Supplement your diet with omega 3 fatty acids and green tea, both of which have been shown to help support your mood.
Try: Desert Essence Inner Peace Organic Essential Oil Blend
2. Get Your Beauty Sleep
Tossing and turning? Essential oils can help you get your zzz's by centering the mind and body for more restful sleep. Our Dream Weaver Essential Oil Blend is made with woody frankincense and sweet marjoram to promote relaxation and ease anxiety, while soothing lavender, bergamot and petitgrain offer a serene scent that helps you (finally) get a good night’s rest. How to Use Essential Oils for Relaxation and Sleep
- Place 3-4 drops of oil onto your pillow.
- Add 8-10 drops to your bath for instant relaxation.
- Add 2-3 drops to Desert Essence Fragrance-Free Hand and Body Lotion and apply before bed.
Did You Know? Exposure to natural sunlight throughout the day helps regulate your circadian rhythm for better quality of sleep. Bonus Points: Limit screen time before bed to fall asleep easier.
Try: Desert Essence Dream Weaver Essential Oil Blend
3. Soothe Aching Muscles
Soothe the mind and body from aches, pains and discomfort with the help of our Muscle Melt Essential Oil Blend. Made with potent everlasting corsica and eucalyptus, this formula is perfect for easing sore muscles after a challenging workout or unwinding after a long, hard day. Plus, it features lavender to calm the senses and a refreshing combination of wintergreen and mint for a fresh, cooling sensation. How to Use Essential Oils for Post-Workout Relief
- Take a deep breath and inhale.
- Mix 8-10 drops with 1 cup of Epsom salt and add to a warm bath.
- Mix ½ cup Desert Essence 100% Pure Jojoba Oil with 6-8 drops of oil for the perfect muscle massage. Store the remaining mixture in an airtight container for continued use.
Did You Know? Drinking water during and after your workout helps prevent dehydration and reduces your risk of muscle injuries, cramps and spasms. Bonus Points: Magnesium helps synthesize protein for muscle maintenance and helps support recovery.
Try: Desert Essence Muscle Melt Essential Oil Blend
4. Enhance Your Focus
Improve your concentration with the cool aroma of peppermint and rosemary oils in our Sharp Thought Essential Oil Blend. Its refreshing grapefruit and orange oils help to enhance focus, while warm frankincense combines with cypress and lavender to stimulate feelings of ease (a must right before an important presentation). How to Use Essential Oils for Focus and Creativity
- Massage a drop onto your temples before your next Zoom meeting.
- Apply it to the back of your neck before studying or tackling a work project.
- Take a deep breath and inhale the oil three times for an instant boost of genius.
Did You Know? Studies show that practicing meditation for just eight weeks can help improve gray matter density in the brain’s hippocampus, which is associated with learning and memory. Bonus Points: Taking regular breaks can help you recharge your mind.
Try: Desert Essence Sharp Thought Organic Essential Oil Blend
5. Brighten Your Day
Desperately in need of a quick pick-me-up? Our Mood Lifter Essential Oil Blend is perfect for easing fatigue and lifting your spirits thanks to its invigorating combination of rosemary, nutmeg, cinnamon and lemongrass uniquely paired with tea tree and citrus oils. How to Use Essential Oils to Boost Your Mood
- Mix 5-6 drops with ¼ cup Desert Essence 100% Pure Jojoba Oil and 1 cup of sugar for a luxe body scrub.
- Rub 1-2 drops on the inside of each foot.
- Massage 1-2 drops onto your wrists and rub together every afternoon.
Did You Know? Eating a nutritious diet rich in antioxidants, folate, vitamin B and omega-3s has been clinically-studied to help support a positive mood. Bonus Points: Socializing is known to improve mental health, so stay in touch with family and friends via text messages, phone calls or Skype.
Try: Desert Essence Mood Lifter Organic Essential Oil Blend
6. Purify Your Surroundings
Your environment has a huge impact on your overall mood, and essential oils can make any space feel cleaner in an instant. Our Breathe Deeply Essential Oil Blend naturally eliminates odors with a fusion of fir needle, cedarwood, Australian tea tree and cardamom, while grapefruit, eucalyptus and peppermint provide a fresh burst of clean for a more breathable environment. How to Use Essential Oils for Aromatherapy
- Spritz your yoga mat with water and 8-10 drops of oil for a quick refresh. (Om.)
- Add 2-3 drops to the inside of your sneakers.
- Combine 10 drops of oil with witch hazel for a dreamy room spray.
Did You Know? Your sense of smell is directly linked to your body’s limbic system, which is associated with emotional processing and memory. Bonus Points: Use an essential oil diffuser to purify (and beautify) your home.
Try: Desert Essence Breathe Deeply Organic Essential Oil Blend