Nailing down a skin care routine can be second nature for some people, but it can be intimidating if you’re a skincare newbie. Just thinking about starting a proper skincare routine means that you’re on the right track to caring for your face. So fear not. If you’re starting your skincare journey or could use a few refreshers, we’ve compiled a skin care 101 for beginners.
Why Is Taking Care of Your Skin Important?
As your body’s largest organ, your skin’s main function is to protect you by helping to keep out environmental stressors. To help it do its job, you’ll want to give it consistent nourishment. Maintaining your skin with a personal care regimen will help keep it healthy and glowing, and regular care helps minimize the irritation that comes with dryness and blemishes. Plus, taking care of your skin feels great, from that splash of water hitting your face after a long day to that rejuvenating face mask following a long week. Luckily, taking care of your skin doesn’t have to be complicated; it only takes a few go-to products to start your skincare journey.
Basics of Skin Care: How to Take Care of Your Skin
Any skin care routine for beginners has three basic components: cleanser, moisturizer and treatment — on top of sunscreen, of course. Whether you have oily, dry or combination skin, adding these basics to your skin care routine will keep your face nourished and healthy.
If you’re wondering how to start a skincare routine, it really all begins with finding a cleanser that’s right for your skin. After a long day, you’ll want to wash off any excess makeup, dirt, oil or impurities that build up on your face. It’s best if you also wash your face first thing in the morning to get rid of sweat and germs from your pillowcase overnight. At most, wash your skin twice a day, once in the morning and once at night — the exception is if you’ll be sweating during the day, as you’ll want to wash your face then as well.
Cleansing your face is simple. Moisten your face with warm water, gently apply the cleanser onto your face with your fingertips and rinse it off with cool water. Then, pat your face dry with a towel. For a double cleanse, you can start with an oil such as jojoba oil and follow up with a cleanser that you can wash off.
If you’re using micellar water or a facial cleansing pad, no rinsing is necessary — wipe off your makeup without harsh rubbing. After an initial cleanse, you can also go in with a facial toner to remove any residual residue.
After cleansing your skin, moisturize it to prevent dryness and keep irritation, redness and itching at bay. If you make a habit out of pampering your skin with moisturizer, you’ll be able to enjoy soft, radiant skin that's safeguarded against environmental stressors. And yes, it’s a good idea to moisturize even if you have oily or combination skin — hydrated skin is healthy skin!
You can moisturize up to twice a day: once in the morning and once at night. First, cleanse your skin, then lightly exfoliate it with a washcloth and gently pat dry. Take out a pea-sized dab of moisturizer and apply it in circular motions across your face — don’t forget your neck as well!
FYI: There’s a minor difference between a facial lotion and a moisturizing cream; a facial lotion will have higher water content, making it an appealing option if you want something lightweight.
From blemishes to dryness, your skin may need extra TLC care from time to time. Besides cleansing and moisturizing, you can pamper your face with a facial treatment. With treatments, choose from a wide range of possibilities, including masks, ointments, sprays and oils. Masks are great for giving your skin a reset after stress, while ointments and sprays can help with skin irritation, and oils can help balance the skin.
Skin Care Ingredients to Look For
If you’re a skincare newbie, it’s helpful to consider what makes up your skin care in the first place. Still, reading the ingredients can be very intimidating if you’re a novice. When it comes to what you put on your face, Desert Essence powers its products with nature’s best ingredients. A couple of go-to Desert Essence skincare ingredients include:
- Jojoba oil: A gentle multi-tasker, this versatile plant extract is similar to skin sebum without feeling greasy. It minimizes excess oil while balancing the skin and restoring moisture.
- Tea tree oil: This pure plant extract cleanses and clarifies skin which is known for its antiseptic properties.
- Coconut oil: One of the prevailing skincare ingredients out there, it's a vitamin E and saturated fatty acid powerhouse that delivers lightweight moisture.
- Aloe vera: Full of good-for-you antioxidants and enzymes, this succulent beautifier is a source of soothing hydration.
- Cucumber: This cooling fruit extract gently calms and soothes sensitive skin.
Desert Essence Skin Care
To nourish and pamper your skin, look to Desert Essence’s skincare collection for deep, plant-powered cleansing, moisturizing and revitalizing. With plenty of options to choose from, we’ll help you get your beginner skincare routine started with some go-to’s based on skin type.
- Dry skin: Gently cleanse and clarify your skin with Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Tea Tree Oil Face Wash without drying it out. Then, give your skin phytonutrients and essential fatty acids with Desert Essence Revitalizing Oils Facial Moisturizer. You can follow up with a skin treatment such as Desert Essence Restorative Face Oil for extra nourishment.
- Oily Skin: Start with Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Tea Tree Oil Face Wash, which helps deeply cleanse oily areas. Then, you can follow up with Desert Essence Cucumber & Aloe Facial Toner to remove excess oils and impurities. You can also use Desert Essence Balancing Face Oil as a lightweight moisturizer that restores moisture in dry areas and calms oily ones without clogging pores.
- Combination Skin: Cleanse both oily and dry patches with Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash - Sea Kelp. Tea tree oil works to cleanse oily areas, while sea kelp delivers hydration to drier spots. Give your face some hydrating love with Desert Essence Daily Essential Moisturizer, which harnesses the powers ofskin-balancing jojoba oil and soothing aloe. Two or three times a week, treat yourself with Desert Essence Cucumber Charcoal Facial Mask to draw out excess oil and boost skin clarity.
Shop Desert Essence for plant-powered skin essentials that boost your personal care routine with effective, good-for-you ingredients.