Even during autumn, maintaining a proper skincare routine is a must. That said, you can always spice up your basic facial care regimen beyond a daily cleanser and moisturizer. Once a week or so, we love pampering ourselves with a fun DIY pumpkin and jojoba oil face mask. Full of botanically potent ingredients and Desert Essence favorites, our mask recipe features nourishing jojoba oil alongside fall kitchen staples. If you’ve been looking for a joyful and effective way to reset your skin this season, here’s how to whip together a DIY fall face mask.
Understanding the Benefits of Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is one of Desert Essence’s go-to succulent wonders. Our jojoba oil specifically comes from sustainable desert farms, where we extract the oil from nut-like jojoba seeds without using any chemicals. Beauty enthusiasts have long used this miraculous golden oil for conditioning hair, boosting lotion and massaging the scalp. But is jojoba oil good for your face? The answer is an unequivocal yes.
How to Use Jojoba Oil for the Face
Jojoba oil is a fantastic oil for skin because of its gentle and hydrating properties. Resembling skin’s natural sebum, it calms down oily areas and delivers moisture to dry parts without clogging pores. It’s also quick absorbing, which means that you won’t need to worry about any greasy residue. For these reasons, jojoba oil is a wonderful multi-tasker in skin care — it’s great for removing makeup, moisturizing the face and cleansing skin.
Fall Renewal Jojoba Face Mask Ingredients
While you can use jojoba oil in its pure form or in an oil blend, you can have a little bit of fun by incorporating it into a weekly DIY fall pumpkin face mask. All it takes is a few simple ingredients to give your skin a glowing refresh — and the good news is, you can find most of them in your kitchen. Here’s what you’ll need for your pumpkin face mask recipe, and more importantly, how the ingredients add botanical benefits to your skin.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree: Packed with enzymes, vitamins and antioxidants, pumpkin gives the skin a luminous glow and offers gentle exfoliation.
- 1.5 tbsp organic honey: In addition to its exfoliating and antimicrobial properties, honey features humectant properties, attracting moisture to the skin’s deeper layers.
- 1.5 tbsp jojoba oil: As we’ve mentioned above, jojoba oil helps balance oil and hydrates dry spots.
- 1.5 tbsp plain Greek yogurt: Rich with probiotics, Greek yogurt nourishes the skin. It also contains lactic acid, which can help promote gentle exfoliation.
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg: In addition to being festive, cinnamon and nutmeg feature antimicrobial properties to help cleanse skin.
Fall Renewal Jojoba Face Mask Recipe Steps
Without further ado, let’s dive into how to create and apply your very own DIY pumpkin face mask for a renewed and refreshed complexion.
- Mix the pumpkin puree, organic honey, jojoba oil, plain Greek yogurt, cinnamon and nutmeg thoroughly in a bowl.
- Optional: For extra moisture and antioxidants, add in a few drops of vitamin E oil.
- Starting with a clean, dry face (we like to use Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Deep Pore Cleanser to prep), apply the mask evenly and make sure to avoid your eyes. You can apply the mask with your fingers, but a clean brush will work, too.
- Let the mask sit for 15 to 20 minutes — this gives the ingredients time to work their magic and rejuvenate your skin. In the meantime, pass the time by with much-deserved self care while enjoying the mask’s delectable autumnal scents!
- Gently rinse off the mask with lukewarm water — then, pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
- Proceed with your skincare routine as usual. You can pamper your skin with moisture-replenishing Desert Essence Revitalizing Oils Facial Moisturizer and lock in even more hydration with Desert Essence Balancing Face Oil.
- Enjoy the silky soft results of your jojoba oil mask!
Tips for Effective Application and Usage
Creating your DIY face mask shouldn’t be overly complicated, but you definitely want to keep some things in mind for effective application. To get the most out of your DIY pumpkin jojoba oil face mask, consider these tips and tricks.
- Make sure to start with clean skin. Washing your face primes your skin, which helps it absorb all of the mask’s botanical benefits.
- Refrigerate your recipe for about an hour before using it. When you refrigerate your recipe, the mask will feel nice and cool on your face during application.
- Consider using a brush for application. Using a brush like a paintbrush will keep your application clean and even. To use your brush in future recipes, remember to thoroughly clean it after applying your mask.
- Leave your face slightly damp before applying moisturizer. Keep your face damp after rinsing off your mask. This way, your moisturizer locks in that extra hydration and nourishes your skin barrier.
With this DIY pumpkin mask, glowy autumn skin only requires a handful of easy-to-find ingredients. Get started on your mask recipe by checking out Desert Essence’s Jojoba Oil Collection.